Look the shape and position of umbilicus.
Describe the normal position of umbilicus :
- Umbilicus lies more or less in the midway between xiphlsternum and symphysis pubis
- Normally It is inverted and slightly retracted.
- The slit is circular, le. neither horizontal nor vertical (the slit is transverse in ascites, and vertical in the presence of ovarian cyst).
Causes of inverted and everted umbilicus :
Everted—Seen in any condition giving rise to increased intra-abdominal tension like ovarian
cyst, pregnancy, hydramnios. severe gaseous distension etc.
Inverted—Normally in health and in obesity.
Slit of umbilicus
Vertical slit is noted in – Ovarian tumor – Horizontal slit in – Ascites
Omphalolith – presence of inspissated desquamated epithelium and other debris
- Umbilicus is buried in fat in obesity
- Increase in distance between umbilicus and xiphisternum noted in upper abdominal mass and ascites
- Increase in distance between umbilicus and symphysis pubis observed in Lower abdominal mass
- Shift of umbilicus to opposite side occur to due to masses of lumbar and iliac fossa
- Metastatic deposit in the umbilicus is noted in Sister Joseph nodule.
copyright @ Dr. Ramjee