Middle East Respiratory Syndrome is a coronavirus which is single-stranded RNA novel species of the genus.it was f first called novel coronavirus 2012 or simply novel coronavirus. It was first reported in 2012 after genome sequencing of a virus isolated from sputum samples from patients who fell ill in a 2012 outbreak of a new flu.
According to the World Health Organization, 400 deaths worldwide and more than 1,000 cases of MERS have been confirmed in 25 countries at end of June 2015
MERS is in the same family of viruses as SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome — coronavirus) as well as the common cold. The virus acts like a cold and attacks the respiratory system. MERS is typically characterized by cough, fever, and shortness of breath. Most individuals with confirmed MERS have developed acute respiratory illness and later lead to pneumonia and kidney failure. Gastrointestinal symptoms such as diarrhea have also been seen, according to the WHO. Generally the average age of MERS victims is 51, but the range found is from 2 to 94.
It has shown that the disease spread from person to person via close contact. The risk individuals include caregivers and close contacts of people with suspected or confirmed MERS-CoV infection.] Transmission has occurred via close contact with infected persons, including from patients to healthcare personnel.
There is no any specific treatments nor vaccine as it is virus MERs is treated for fever or breathing difficulties, these are some steps need to take into consideration for preventing from the MERs
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, then dispose of the tissue.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid personal contact, such as kissing, or sharing cups or eating utensils, with sick people.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces and objects, such as doorknobs.
The recent CDC guideline for MERs is here
CDC Update Infrormation