Dehydration occurs when more water and fluids leave the body than enter it. Even low levels of dehydration can cause headaches, lethargy, and constipation.
The human body is made up of 75 % water and without the water, the body cannot survive. the water is found in various places such as blood vessels and between cells.
Signs and Symptoms of dehydration in adults and children include:
- Feeling thirsty
- Dark yellow and strong-smelling pee
- Feeling dizzy or lightheaded
- Feeling tired
- A dry mouth, lips, and eyes
- Peeing little, and fewer than 4 times a day
Dehydrating can cause a lot of problems and we have to hydrate our body properly.
Dehydration can happen more easily if you have:
- Vomiting or diarrhea
- Been in the sun too long (heatstroke)
- Drunk too much alcohol
- Consumed too much after exercising
- A high temperature of 38C or more
- Been taking medicines that make you pee more (diuretics)
To know more about alcohol which causes dehydration click this link
Some facts about dehydrating
- The human body is made up of about three-quarters of water.
- Dehydration can be caused by diarrhea, vomiting, and sweating.
- The people who are at high risk of dehydration are athletes, higher altitude people, and old adults
- Beginning symptoms of dehydration include the mouth, lethargy, and dizziness
How to rehydrate and not Dehydrating
Many people have questions on how to rehydrate.
- The most convenient and cheapest way to remain hydrated throughout the day us drinking water. Unlike other beverages such as soda, juice, water is free of added sugars and free calories. People need to drink water after a workout.
- Coffee or tea is full of a stimulant called caffeine. In excess amounts, it can cause dehydration whereas in a moderate amount it can help to rehydrate.
- Skim and low-fat milk can have rehydrating properties. Other than providing a vast amount of nutrients, milk has some hydrating properties.
- As fruits and vegetables are comprised of 80-99% water, these superfoods have some hydrating properties.
Fruits and vegetables with the highest water content include:
- Oral hydration solutions are specialized formulas used to prevent and treat dehydration caused by diarrhea or vomiting.
Hence, these are some of the ways on how to rehydrate
Does alcohol dehydrate you?
Yes, alcohol can dehydrate you as alcohol is a diuretic, it can lead to your body removing fluids from the blood through the renal system. This includes the kidney’s urethra and bladder. If the person does not drink enough water with alcohol then this can lead to dehydration. Does alcohol dehydrate you?
Yes, it does.
Does tea dehydrate you?
Even though caffeine has a diuretic effect, both the herbal and also caffeine-containing teas are unlikely to lead to dehydration. to see a significant diuretic effect the caffeine needs to be consumed in large amounts such as 500mg or the equivalent of 6–13 cups (1,440–3,120 ml) of tea.
Does tea dehydrate you?
Yes, it does too.
Now that we discussed does alcohol dehydrate you and Does tea dehydrate you, can dehydration cause high blood pressure?
Let’s find out
Can dehydration cause high blood pressure?
Chronically dehydrated people often have an underlying condition such as hypertension or high blood pressure. Whenever the body’s cells lack water then the brain sends the signal to the pituitary gland to secrete vasopressin. Vasopressin is a chemical that leads to the constriction of the blood vessels. This can in turn lead to high blood pressure and lead to hypertension.
Hence we look at the issue of Can dehydration causes high blood pressure?
So now we will discuss the best way to hydrate and overcome Dehydrating
- WebMD says that about 80% of the water intake comes from fluids and the remaining 20 % comes from food. Some various fruits and vegetables contain a high amount of water. These are the following
- Cucumber: 96% water
- Celery: 95% water
- Tomatoes: 94% water
- Asparagus: 93% water
- Spinach: 91% water
- Cantaloupe: 90% water
- Peaches: 89% water
- Carrots: 88% water
- Bananas: 75% water
- Milk and juice
Apart from the medicinal and nutrition milk and juice have, they can both help hydrate a dehydrated body,
- Here are some tips on the best way to hydrate
if you are not getting the daily recommended amount of water and if you see signs and symptoms of dehydration then these following tips can help combat dehydration can cause dehydration.
Downloading a water tracking app like Waterlogged or Daily Water – Drink Reminder, can help
Keeping the liquids nearby
Carry a water bottle.
Drinking water while exercising can be so soothing. You will enjoy workouts more if you are hydrated properly before during and after
Final thoughts on Dehydrating
As our body is mainly made up of water, water is an essential part of human physiology, water has no calories and can help prevent various illnesses, and can be refreshing after a workout.
Water plays a vital role in maintaining an optimum level of health in children, adults, and old alike.
Lack of water in the system can have a lot of negative consequences and the body will show signs that you are dehydrated and lack a sufficient amount of water in your body. If left untreated then it can have lots of complications. Like diseases will start occurring. If you think you are dehydrated then look for the following signs such as roughness or flaking, flushing or redness, cracked skin or lips, cold or clammy skin, tightening or shrinking (less plump skin).
Your mouth and tongue may feel dry or sticky when you’re dehydrated. You might also have bad breath. You can tell if you lack a sufficient amount of water in your bodily systems then dark yellow to amber urine can indicate that you may have mild to severe dehydration. Properly hydrated urine is very light in color. You can also be dehydrated if you have less urination frequency throughout the day.
You can also get constipation if you lack water in your daily intake. The stool has a hard time passing through the bowel and there will be less bowel movement that can lead to constipation. So make sure that you have enough water intake throughout the day if you want your stool to be soft and not hard and constipated.
Therefore, hydration plays an important role in maintaining an optimum level of health at any age.
to know more on dehydration please visit this link
Hence we have discussed the best way to hydrate. And answered some questions like does alcohol dehydrate you and does tea dehydrate you.